Monday, November 13, 2006

Five Angels for the Millennium - Bill Viola


To continue with the theme "installation with great impact for me", I have to mention Bill Viola's Five Angels for the Millennium. This video installation is one of my favourite ones.

I remember the first time when I saw it, I entered a room that was so dark that I couldn't see the floor, I felt really vunerable because every step I took was a step for unsertaintity. Only visible light came from projected videos from the walls. It took few minutes to adapt for new enviromet and then I was able to walk around and I didn't to step on people, which were sitting on the floor watching the videos..


I spend there long time, the videos were slow and the tension was built nicely by sound and images that captured me completely, and you just couldn't leave the moment without seeing where the build tense will lead you next.


Bill Viola uses lot the water element in his work, apparently, he have had close to death experience with water in his past. He presents the water, somehow, mystical and magical as it would have extraordinary powers.. At least I felt the presence of water in his pieces insignificant.

Exhibitions that I have visited:

February 2, 2004 - February 13, 2004The Messenger (1996), "Presence", St. Paul's Cathedral, London, UK

April 18, 2003 - March 1, 2004Five Angels for the Millennium (2001) , Permanent Collection, Tate Modern, London, UK

Watch: Bill Viola, Reflecting Pool, click below.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4498864086957786589&q=bill+viola

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home